Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is a beloved comfort food enjoyed by both adults and kids. However, when time and energy are scarce, this recipe comes to the rescue. In just about an hour, you can savor a bowl of flavorful broth, tender chicken, and yes, noodles.
This version of chicken noodle soup features shirataki noodles, a low-carb alternative that adds a delightful twist to stir-fries and soup bowls. These almost tasteless noodles absorb the flavors of the broth, which is crafted using dark meat for an exceptionally rich taste. Combined with the shredded thigh meat, the noodles create a satisfying and filling chicken noodle soup. With its low-carb profile, rich flavor, and quick preparation, this recipe is sure to please everyone.
Preparation time: 1 hour Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs (approximately 6 thighs/1.1 kg)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or avocado oil (30 ml)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch half-moons
- 1 onion, chopped (finely diced or larger chunks, as preferred)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 teaspoons salt (10 ml)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns (5 ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken stock or water (1.6 L)
- 1 package/7 ounces/200 g shirataki angel hair noodles
- Using the sauté function on an electric pressure cooker, heat the butter or oil. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the chicken to the pot. Season everything with salt, and add the peppercorns and bay leaf. Pour in the chicken stock or water.
- Lock the lid in place, seal the vent, and cook for 15 minutes on high pressure. Release the pressure manually.
- Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a plate. Once the meat has cooled down, shred it off the bones, and return the meat to the pot.
- Switch the pressure cooker to “sauté” mode to bring the broth to a simmer.
- Open the package of shirataki noodles and drain them in a colander. Rinse the noodles thoroughly under cold water.
- Add the rinsed shirataki noodles to the soup. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
- Calories: 238
- Carbs: 6 grams
- Fat: 13 grams
- Protein: 24 grams